List:       kdepim-users
Subject:    [kdepim-users] KMail + IMAP painfully slow
From:       Ross Boylan <ross () biostat ! ucsf ! edu>
Date:       2007-05-14 23:54:48

I've spent the day watching KMail be unresponsive (using most of the CPU, not
updating the screen, not responding to the mouse) using a local (Cyrus) IMAP
server.

Moving messages takes many minutes, sometimes (even when it's not many
messages).

Getting the text of a message to display can take forever.

I disabled automatic checking, and this seemed to help some.  The manual check
remains slow, I guess because it insists on visiting every folder.

Am I doing something wrong?  Is my mailstore bigger than KMail was designed
for?  Or is KMail just not that good at IMAP?

I have 2 imap accounts; a small remote one and a large local one.  The local
one has about 115 folders (with several levels of nesting), some of which
have a lot of messages (several in the 10's of thousands, the largest around
80k).  KMail's area under .kde is about 335Mg.  I have yet to visit most of
the folders.

kmail 3.5.5.dfsg.1-6 (the about panel says it's 1.9.5) on Debian GNU/Linux.
3GHz Pentium4 with a decent SATA disk.

It's doing better than evolution, which can't define the accounts, and
arguably better than mutt, which hangs every time it exits a folder.