List:       kdepim-users
Subject:    Re: [kdepim-users] kmail's disappearing uitilities and menu items?
From:       "Roy J. Tellason" <rtellason () verizon ! net>
Date:       2007-05-13 19:33:04

On Sunday 13 May 2007 00:18, Larry Howe wrote:
> On Friday 11 May 2007 15:12, Roy J. Tellason wrote:
> > switch away from it to some other software entirely.
>
> Roy - please do! There's something vaguely hyopcritical about using
> someone's own product to criticize them. Well, it's more than just vague.
> Open source software didn't just come out of nowhere. It's a community
> effort. There are various ways you can help the community. You can be a
> beta tester. You can go through bugs in the bugzilla system and help the
> developers by locating and closing duplicates. You can visit kde.org and
> make a financial contribution. You can become a developer and implement
> whatever good ideas you have. There are a lot of ways you can help.

Yup,  and I can say "I notice these design changes and don't think that
they're good ones" too.  What's the problem with that?

> But griping about minor perceived flaws in a major system, for which you
> paid nothing and contributed nothing, is not one of them.

Minor?  Well,  when some of this stuff impacts my use of the software in ways
that it didn't before,  when it causes me to have to spend more time (my most
limited resource) to do things than what I'd been spending before,  I
wouldn't call that minor.

> Maybe it's a sign of the maturity of open source software that people are
> starting to take it for granted and assume that it will always be there and
> will always do exactly what they want, but that's not the case. If you want
> an option where you have an 800 number where you can call and complain
> about various issues, then you have that option, but that's not how open
> source works, or has ever worked, or will ever work.

Nope,  I want an option where developers pay some attention to the usability
of their product and of the impact of some of the changes made on those who
are the target audience for that product.  If they don't,  what's the point?

-
M Dakin