List:       kdepim-users
Subject:    Re: [kdepim-users] kmail: what it's doing...
From:       Anne Wilson <cannewilson () tiscali ! co ! uk>
Date:       2007-04-05 19:59:16

[Attachment #2 (multipart/signed)]

On Thursday 05 April 2007 20:10, Roy J. Tellason wrote:
> On Thursday 05 April 2007 14:52, Anne Wilson wrote:
> > Can't give you a technical answer, but here's my user perspective :-)
> >
> > Compaction and expiry are entirely different.  For compaction to be done
> > very often is generally a good thing - I don't know any argument against
> > it.
>
> The "limited machine resource" point was aimed at this.  I don't _want_
> this software to be using CPU cycles and doing disk activity when I've got
> a bunch of other stuff going on,  and taking resources away from other
> things,  I want to be able to do it manually and not have the software
> "decide" when it's going to do it -- this is a choice,  and one that should
> not have been taken away from me.

I think the idea is that if it is done very frequently it requires very few
resources.  Doing it infrequently is a much bigger drain on resources, and of
course that mustn't happen while you are doing other intensive work.
Unfortunately, doing it manually often means forgetting to do it at all.

> > The problems of missing messages appear to be the result of your expiry
> > settings.
>
> Those were only supposed to deal with _read_ messages,  not _unread_ ones,
> though.  Apparently there's something in there that "decided" that some of
> the stuff was "too old" and just deleted them,  whether I wanted it to or
> not.  Didn't get around to reading them yet?  Too bad!

I don't know what's doing that.l  It certainly doesn't do it here.  I have
folders with mail in that date from 2005 - folders without expiry set, that
is.  I never have unread mail for long, but if the problem existed here I
would expect to have seen it.

Maybe you are going to have to get a more technical answer, after all.

Anne