List:       kdepim-users
Subject:    Re: [kdepim-users] kmail: what it's doing...
From:       "Roy J. Tellason" <rtellason () verizon ! net>
Date:       2007-04-05 19:10:37

On Thursday 05 April 2007 14:52, Anne Wilson wrote:
> Can't give you a technical answer, but here's my user perspective :-)
>
> Compaction and expiry are entirely different.  For compaction to be done
> very often is generally a good thing - I don't know any argument against
> it.

The "limited machine resource" point was aimed at this.  I don't _want_ this
software to be using CPU cycles and doing disk activity when I've got a bunch
of other stuff going on,  and taking resources away from other things,  I
want to be able to do it manually and not have the software "decide" when
it's going to do it -- this is a choice,  and one that should not have been
taken away from me.

> The problems of missing messages appear to be the result of your expiry
> settings.

Those were only supposed to deal with _read_ messages,  not _unread_ ones,
though.  Apparently there's something in there that "decided" that some of
the stuff was "too old" and just deleted them,  whether I wanted it to or
not.  Didn't get around to reading them yet?  Too bad!

> I would suggest that you set a reasonably low expiry date  for your read
> mail - after all, marking it as 'important' will stop it being deleted.  Set
> a longer period for unread mail if this can be a problem to you.

There's a checkbox there for expiring unread mail -- which I _never_ checked
for any of my folders.  Apparently it decided to do it anyway,  ignoring that
little factor.

> I suspect that that's where your problem lies.  Finally, how about telling
> it to move expired mail to a folder created entirely for that purpose, and
> set that folder to expire at a still longer period.

I don't see why I should have to go through all of this (and consume yet
further machine resources,  which are already pretty tight) when it's doing
something that I don't want it to do in the first place.  It didn't do it in
the prior versions of the program that I'd used (whatever the version was
that came with Slackware 10.x),  why was this "feature" added,  and why can't
I disable it?  It's a really *stupid* move on somebody's part...

> In the UK we call it 'belt, braces, and a piece of string' - others refer
> to suspenders, but I'm sure you get the idea :-)

I call it bad software design,  putting "features" like that in which don't
quite seem to work the way they're supposed to (as in deleting unread emails
when I hadn't got to them yet even though I had NOT opted to do so) and then
not providing a way to turn that "feature" off.

-
M Dakin