List:       kdepim-users
Subject:    Re: [kdepim-users] kmail: what it's doing...
From:       Anne Wilson <cannewilson () tiscali ! co ! uk>
Date:       2007-04-05 18:52:01

[Attachment #2 (multipart/signed)]

On Thursday 05 April 2007, Roy J. Tellason wrote:
> I used to have some folders in kmail set up with expiry intervals,  and
> when I'd read through the new stuff in a folder I'd manually expire it.
> I'd also compact them manually from time to time.
>
> A while back I installed Slackware 11.0 on this laptop,  having taken down
> the LAN that I was using (with the messages on another machine) due to a
> move, and I still haven't brought things back up yet.
>
> In using this newer setup,  I find that messages that I haven't read yet
> are being delete -- I'm still not exactly clear on what I've lose here.  I
> find that any folder that has an expire period set,  and that has the box
> checked, is being expired at some point whenever the software decides that
> this is what it's gonna do.
>
> Having unchecked the checkboxes,  I'm still seeing the software going
> around and compacting folders on its own,  without me telling it to do so.
> This is an older machine,  of limited resources,  and this sort of crap is
> using up machine resources that I can't afford.
>
> Is there some way I can get kmail to stop doing this?
>
> If not,  I'm going to have to abandon the program and switch to something
> else.  :-(

Can't give you a technical answer, but here's my user perspective :-)

Compaction and expiry are entirely different.  For compaction to be done very
often is generally a good thing - I don't know any argument against it.  The
problems of missing messages appear to be the result of your expiry settings.
I would suggest that you set a reasonably low expiry date for your read
mail - after all, marking it as 'important' will stop it being deleted.  Set
a longer period for unread mail if this can be a problem to you.  I suspect
that that's where your problem lies.  Finally, how about telling it to move
expired mail to a folder created entirely for that purpose, and set that
folder to expire at a still longer period.

In the UK we call it 'belt, braces, and a piece of string' - others refer to
suspenders, but I'm sure you get the idea :-)

Anne