List:       kdepim-users
Subject:    Re: [kdepim-users] Backup of maildir files
From:       Dick Angus <RJA-Linux () shaw ! ca>
Date:       2007-02-26 17:26:05

Thanks for the quick reply.

I did copy the . files and all . directories and most files made it over.
Konqueror kept saying that the individual maildir files could not be copied
and offered skip -autoskip - cancel warning as options. cp and rcp copied
all . directories and most . files, but on the maildir files (the individual
e-mails with the odd naming convention like 1171914623.4762.qGNSI:2,S) I get
a message -

cp: cannot create regular file 1171914623.4762.qGNSI:2,S' : Invalid argument.

I have been doing google searches on problems copying maildir files and found
many e-mails that mentioned maildir files are very hard to copy. I don't have
them anymore, but could probably find them again if it would help. One of the
e-mails suggested the rcp variant of cp, but it has the same problem as cp,
for me.

I just re-executed the rcp command to get the error messages clear and the
back up has /home/USER_NAME/.kde/share/apps/kmail/mail/MAILBOX_NAME/cur. I
have view hidden files on (I can see the .kde and others) and cur is still
empty. The rcp command is:

sudo rcp -r /home/USER_NAME  /media/LACIE/2007-02-25-Backup

I am backing up to a 250Gb LaCie USB, external drive.

Still no e-mail out there. Is using sudo an issue? I thought it might help.
I'll try it again without sudo.

TIA

--
Dick - an old mainframer trying to get current.