List:       kdepim-users
Subject:    Re: [kdepim-users] Backup of maildir files
From:       Mark Weisler <mark () weisler-saratoga-ca ! us>
Date:       2007-02-26 16:39:05

[Attachment #2 (multipart/signed)]

On Monday 26 February 2007 07:58, Dick Angus wrote:
> I am new to this news group and to having multiple e-mail ids. I made a
> mistake yesterday and sent this on the wrong id.
>
> I am running Kubuntu 6.10 with the latest 686 (32 bit) SMP kernel on a P4
> dual core 64. KDE and KMail (as well as all other software) is kept
> current.
>
> I have been doing regular full backups of my /home/USER_NAME directory
> feeling confident that I was covered. A few days ago I needed to do a
> recovery and found all my e-mail gone. This was damned irritating, to say
> the least. Now, through research, I find this a common flaw in KMail and
> maildir formats. Damned irritating as well is the fact that I cannot find
> any information on how to do a backup of maildir. KMail does not have a
> backup feature, Konqueror fails to copy maildir files, and both cp and rcp
> fail as well. How can a person backup their e-mail files with some degree
> of confidence that they can recover if required?

If you backed up /home/USER_NAME directory you probably did successfully
backup the mail files. Be sure you are viewing hidden files and directories.
Do this by using Konqueror View -> Show Hidden Files.
Then /home/USER_NAME directory/.kde/share/apps/kmail/mail
and you should start seeing your mail file(s).
Explore the directory(s) containing your backups with "Show Hidden Files" on
in Konqueror.
Hope this helps.

--
Mark Weisler