List:       kdepim-users
Subject:    Re: [kdepim-users] [e-users] Kontact strange under Enlightenment
From:       Jean-Philippe Monteiro <joaophilippe.mb.monteiro () gmail ! com>
Date:       2007-02-18 5:54:10

Subject: Re: [e-users] Kontact strange under Enlightenment DR17
Date: Saturday 17 February 2007 00:40
From: andresblanc@gmail.com
To: enlightenment-users@lists.sourceforge.net

El Jueves 15 Febrero 2007 23:11, Jean-Philippe Monteiro escribió:
> Hi to both Enlightenment & kdepim communities
>
> Giving a try on openSUSE10.2 with Enlightenment DR17 (pre-compiled RPM from
> 01/01/2007 on Pacman repos), I noticed the following issue of mainly
> graphic kind:
>
> Iconify-ing Kontact successfully reduce Kontact, with proper icon; hitting
> the CloseWindow button does the same, do not quit but iconify - good.
>
> Upon restoration of the window from iconbox/bar, the main toolbar icons
> disappear (the ones with "new mail, save, previous-next & the like)
>
> They are still functional though, if you know where to click :)

I have been using E17 alongside KDE based apps (except for the gimp) for the
last few years and never experienced anything like your first bug (currently
using Kontact Version 1.2.3, yes, that's the version number).

> I also experienced a totally unresponsive app after restoring the kontact
> window, not the way kontact sometimes "hangs" when busy, but fully dead,
> frozen. I know kontact is meant for kde, but I was using it under gnome on
> the laptop without much trouble.

When I used the unstable KDE version I had "kded" die on me and taking
 kontact and a bounch of other kde apps along with him, producing the an
 effect similar to what you seem to experience in the second bug, strangely
 this didn't happen in any other WM or DE than E17.

When this happens, you should try excecuting kdeinit_shutdown and
dcopserver_shutdown, if either kded or dcopserver remain in memory then you
might have the same problem I did.

I couldn't find a reason or solution and ended up limiting myself to the
stable versions.

good luck.