List:       kdepim-users
Subject:    Re: [kdepim-users] kmail/imap hangs frequently
From:       Ingo =?iso-8859-1?q?Kl=F6cker?= <kloecker () kde ! org>
Date:       2007-01-30 22:22:19

[Attachment #2 (multipart/signed)]

On Monday 29 January 2007 16:50, Derek Broughton wrote:
> On Friday 26 January 2007 19:11, Ingo Klöcker wrote:
> > On Thursday 25 January 2007 02:55, Rainer Dorsch wrote:
> > > I am running kmail 1.9.5 (KDE 3.5.5) from Debian testing and
> > > noticed, that kmail hangs frequently when accessing an IMAP
> > > server from a laptop. I think kmail/imap cannot handle very well
> > > changing IP adresses. If I could a "reload" button (or F5) in
> > > kmail, that would be more than good enough for me. Right now I
> > > have to restart kmail and kill all kmail processes....
> > >
> > > Is that a known problem. Is there anything I could provide which
> > > helps debugging it?
> >
> > Yes, it's a known problem. If you wait long enough then the
> > connection will time out. The problem is that the timeout is rather
> > long, i.e. several minutes.
>
> "Several"?  It seems to be all day...  I had thought this was a
> resume-from-hibernate problem.  It hadn't occurred to me that I
> almost always resume with a different IP.

Yeah, I think there is a problem if you try to access an account which
is no longer available but KMail hasn't yet noticed this. In this case
the connection will hang forever and only killing kio_imap4 can revive
it. At least most of the time. In some occasions an additional restart
of KMail is necessary. :-(

Regards,
Ingo