List:       kdepim-users
Subject:    Re: [kdepim-users] kmail/imap hangs frequently
From:       Derek Broughton <auspex () pointerstop ! ca>
Date:       2007-01-29 15:50:56

On Friday 26 January 2007 19:11, Ingo Klöcker wrote:
> On Thursday 25 January 2007 02:55, Rainer Dorsch wrote:
> >
> > I am running kmail 1.9.5 (KDE 3.5.5) from Debian testing and noticed,
> > that kmail hangs frequently when accessing an IMAP server from a
> > laptop. I think kmail/imap cannot handle very well changing IP
> > adresses. If I could a "reload" button (or F5) in kmail, that would
> > be more than good enough for me. Right now I have to restart kmail
> > and kill all kmail processes....
> >
> > Is that a known problem. Is there anything I could provide which
> > helps debugging it?
>
> Yes, it's a known problem. If you wait long enough then the connection
> will time out. The problem is that the timeout is rather long, i.e.
> several minutes.

"Several"?  It seems to be all day...  I had thought this was a
resume-from-hibernate problem.  It hadn't occurred to me that I almost always
resume with a different IP.

> Instead of killing KMail it suffices to kill all
> kio_imap4 processes (or at least the process that was connected to the
> IMAP server). You should switch to a local folder before you kill the
> processes.

Nicer solution than I've been using.  If I switch to a local folder before I
hibernate, the kio_imap4 processes may actually time out when I resume.

Thanks.
--
derek