List:       kdepim-users
Subject:    Re: [kdepim-users] Kpilot: Problems using "usb:"-device?
From:       Martin Bernreuther <martinbern () web ! de>
Date:       2007-01-05 18:07:27

Am Freitag, 5. Januar 2007 03:39 schrieb Jason 'vanRijn' Kasper:
> > IMHO it would be
> > better first to have some "Serial|USB|Bluetooth|WLAN..." Radiobuttons and
> > e.g. not to show "Speed" in case of an USB-choice.
>
> Yes, you're right of course.  If you could go to the trouble of creating a bug
> report on bugs.kde.org for kpilot, I can see if we can get to this at some
> point.  =:)

Yes! I should do that.
Thinking about that twice, I believe that it might also make sense
to introduce "Profiles" (offer the possibility to save Preference settings
with a given name and offer a listbox to choose this combination),
since it might happen, that a person likes to use more than one PDA,
different methods to synchronize a PDA (the TX e.g. offers USB, Bluetooth and WLAN),
or just to have an "Install only"-Profile with all other conduits deselected (see \
below). I'm still convinced, that the different Synchronization types should be \
separated.

> > Just to install some programs, I was looking for an "Install only"-Button,
> > which I didn't find or doesn't exist.
>
> Well, if you bring up the kpilot interface (click the kpilot icon in the panel
> or just run "kpilot" manually), the second icon from the bottom on the left
> is a "File Installer" where you can add files to install, etc.

Yes, but isn't it like:
- first choose the Files to install and then
- the installation happens with the next hotsync together with all the other stuff...
To "just install" you have to go to the preferences and
deselect all the other conduits and then start a fast sync process.
(In my case, I also have to adjust the "standard sync method")
I think, pilot-xfer -i is much more straightforward.

> > With this code the error message using /dev/pilot reads
                                                                   ^^^^^^^^
> > [...]
> [snip]
> > kpilot: WARNING: KPilot error: Der Pilot-Socket (Eingabe-/Ausgabefehler)
> > kann nicht zum Mithören geöffnet werden [...]
> > ("The pilot socket (I/O error) can't be opened for listening")
> > The SVN-version still has some quirks here.
>
> And is this with using "usb:" as the device identifier or /dev/something?

This was using /dev/pilot

> > Using "usb:" I first had no problems at all (like with pilot-xfer). Hitting
> > the Sync-Button once and that's it. I noticed that kpilot always freezes,
> > if I start it and a kpilotDaemon is already/still running in the
> > background.
>
> So it sounds like usb: works?  Cool.  I've never tried it myself.  =:)  But
> I'm not clear on the "freezes" part.  Are you saying that kpilot freezes by
> itself when the sync is done?  If so, can you please run kpilotDaemon from
> within gdb and if/when the freeze happens again, press control-c and get a
> backtrace (bt) and send it to the list?

No. It freezes just if I start it. (No Palm interaction)
I don't have problems starting kpilot with "PilotDevice=/dev/pilot" in my \
".kde/share/config/kpilotrc" and I change it to usb:.

But if I have "PilotDevice=usb:" in the kpilotrc, start kpilot (no kpilotDaemon \
running) with
> gdb kpilot
(gdb) run --nofork
and go to the Kpilot settings, I get after a freeze and after Ctrl-C

(gdb) where
#0  0xb7f4c410 in ?? ()
#1  0xbf957e58 in ?? ()
#2  0x00000008 in ?? ()
#3  0xb6a7c55f in _kde_IceTransRead () from /opt/kde3/lib/libDCOP.so.4
#4  0xb6a75fef in _kde_IceRead () from /opt/kde3/lib/libDCOP.so.4
#5  0xb6a7abaf in KDE_IceProcessMessages () from /opt/kde3/lib/libDCOP.so.4
#6  0xb6a66419 in DCOPClient::callInternal () from /opt/kde3/lib/libDCOP.so.4
#7  0xb6a666fd in DCOPClient::callInternal () from /opt/kde3/lib/libDCOP.so.4
#8  0xb6a6b147 in DCOPClient::call () from /opt/kde3/lib/libDCOP.so.4
#9  0xb6a6b1a7 in DCOPClient::call () from /opt/kde3/lib/libDCOP.so.4
#10 0x080b5baa in PilotDaemonDCOP_stub::nextSyncType (this=0x81622f8)
    at /home/hpcbern/SVNwork/kpilot/build-Linux2_6_18_2_34_default/kpilot/pilotDaemonDCOP_stub.cpp:76
 #11 0x0808db0a in runConfigure (daemon=@0x81622f8, parent=0x81396b0) at \
/home/hpcbern/SVNwork/kpilot/kpilot/kpilot.cc:817 #12 0x0808e123 in \
KPilotInstaller::configure (this=0x81396b0) at \
/home/hpcbern/SVNwork/kpilot/kpilot/kpilot.cc:1029 [...]

There seems to be a problem with
	int rememberedSync = daemon.nextSyncType();
within "static bool runConfigure(PilotDaemonDCOP_stub &daemon,QWidget *parent)"
The Synctype is stored to be set up again (requestSync) after the setup procedure.
Somehow getting the SyncType for usb: is not working...
After quitting gdb, the kpilotDaemon is still running in the background.
I have no problems using the "-s" option here (and no kpilotDaemon running \
afterwards.)

If I start it again (kpilotDaemon still running) the GUI is not responding and after \
Ctrl-C

(gdb) where
#0  0xb7fab410 in ?? ()
#1  0xbfe9c898 in ?? ()
#2  0x00000008 in ?? ()
#3  0xb6adb55f in _kde_IceTransRead () from /opt/kde3/lib/libDCOP.so.4
#4  0xb6ad4fef in _kde_IceRead () from /opt/kde3/lib/libDCOP.so.4
#5  0xb6ad9baf in KDE_IceProcessMessages () from /opt/kde3/lib/libDCOP.so.4
#6  0xb6ac5419 in DCOPClient::callInternal () from /opt/kde3/lib/libDCOP.so.4
#7  0xb6ac56fd in DCOPClient::callInternal () from /opt/kde3/lib/libDCOP.so.4
#8  0xb6aca147 in DCOPClient::call () from /opt/kde3/lib/libDCOP.so.4
#9  0xb6aca1a7 in DCOPClient::call () from /opt/kde3/lib/libDCOP.so.4
#10 0x080b7435 in PilotDaemonDCOP_stub::statusString (this=0x8161f10)
    at /home/hpcbern/SVNwork/kpilot/build-Linux2_6_18_2_34_default/kpilot/pilotDaemonDCOP_stub.cpp:201
 #11 0x080907a9 in KPilotInstaller::startDaemonIfNeeded (this=0x8139680) at \
/home/hpcbern/SVNwork/kpilot/kpilot/kpilot.cc:165 [...]

For this case, using the "-s" options also freezes the GUI and I get

(gdb) where
#0  0xb7fce410 in ?? ()
#1  0xbfa2d948 in ?? ()
#2  0x00000008 in ?? ()
#3  0xb6afe55f in _kde_IceTransRead () from /opt/kde3/lib/libDCOP.so.4
#4  0xb6af7fef in _kde_IceRead () from /opt/kde3/lib/libDCOP.so.4
#5  0xb6afcbaf in KDE_IceProcessMessages () from /opt/kde3/lib/libDCOP.so.4
#6  0xb6ae8419 in DCOPClient::callInternal () from /opt/kde3/lib/libDCOP.so.4
#7  0xb6ae86fd in DCOPClient::callInternal () from /opt/kde3/lib/libDCOP.so.4
#8  0xb6aed147 in DCOPClient::call () from /opt/kde3/lib/libDCOP.so.4
#9  0xb6aed1a7 in DCOPClient::call () from /opt/kde3/lib/libDCOP.so.4
#10 0x080b5baa in PilotDaemonDCOP_stub::nextSyncType (this=0x810ea18)
    at /home/hpcbern/SVNwork/kpilot/build-Linux2_6_18_2_34_default/kpilot/pilotDaemonDCOP_stub.cpp:76
 #11 0x0808db0a in runConfigure (daemon=@0x810ea18, parent=0x0) at \
/home/hpcbern/SVNwork/kpilot/kpilot/kpilot.cc:817 #12 0x0808fdf5 in main \
(argc=33555202, argv=0x2f) at /home/hpcbern/SVNwork/kpilot/kpilot/kpilot.cc:1176

> Ohhhh wait.  Did you uninstall the previous version of kpilot on your system?
> Where did you install the new kpilot version to?
>
> The problem is that if you still have the old version of kpilot on your system
> and you run "kpilot", it will start up the version that you would expect but
> may launch kpilotDaemon from the old version, thereby causing problems like
> this.

Yes, you're right. I just did a make, make install (to overwrite the other \
installation). Now I removed the rpm (rpm -e). But this doesn't change anything and \
the symptom stays.

> Or are you saying that the GUI only freezes if you have "usb:" in the config
> file?  If you can reproduce the freeze, please try running kpilot --nofork -s
> from inside gdb and control-c, get bt from it.

see above
(I know, I have to dig deeper...)

> Well, unfortunately, I've not had a chance to play with libusb yet with
> kpilot.  I think I will give it a shot tonight and see where I get.  So it
> may or may not work.  I do know that the old way (visor kernel module and
> using /dev/ttyUSB1 (for me at least)) works perfectly well on both SUSE 10.1
> and FC6 laptops.

There might be some changes for OpenSuSE 10.2...

> > P.S.:
> > In the meantime I also had the first total loss of the calendar data after
> > a hotsync. The synchronization seems still not to be very stable with the
> > Palm TX...
>
> Can you explain what happened, exactly?  You lost data with the latest version
> of kpilot?

Sorry! But I can't reproduce this behaviour.
I just deleted an datebook-entry on the TX and after an hotsync both calendars were \
empty... Since this was an one time event and never showed up again, I'll wait for \
another occasion...

> > Is there also a possibility to synchronize the "pTunes"-stuff. (Starting
> > "ptunes" will just crash my TX.)
>
> What do you mean sync the ptunes stuff?  Install the program file?

pTunes is the "Music application" you get preinstalled with the TX.
I asked the Palm support, but they didn't tell me how this application stores it's \
data on the SD card. (a directory with a specific name? iTunes like?)
The manual starts with: "Start the WindowsMediaPlayer, go to Synchronization and \
choose the Palm device..." (I tried that on a foreign windows machine and even after \
an WMP update and the ptunes installation nothing showed up. You see: also for \
Windows things are sometimes not working...) The solution might be to use the
DIOplayer (originating from http://www.diotek.co.kr/, but now found at many \
places...), The Magic Lantern (http://sourceforge.net/projects/magiclantern/, \
http://sourceforge.net/project/showfiles.php?group_id=126700&package_id=139855), \
TCPMP(http://tcpmp.corecodec.org/)... Here, you just create a directory on the SD \
card and copy all your files there...

> Thanks again for your e-mail, Martin!!  =:)  I very much appreciate your help
> in making kpilot work for you.  =:)

No. I have to thank you for your time and the advices!

Regards,
	Martin Bernreuther

--
Martin Bernreuther	martinbern@web.de