List:       kdepim-users
Subject:    Re: [kdepim-users] Kpilot charset problems
From:       Adriaan de Groot <groot () kde ! org>
Date:       2006-09-02 16:03:29

On Saturday 26 August 2006 13:58, Jean Hoderd wrote:
> The problem is that all characters with accents appeared wrong
> in kpilot.  I checked its charset options, and by default it was
> set to iso8859-15.  Now, I don't know which charset is used by
> PalmOS, but I reckon it must be different.

Probably 8859-1, but it can be different in any given palm and I don't think
there's a way to ask for the device's settings. Some are even in hebrew,
which is funky unless you don't know about it and sync it as if it's a
latin-1 device :(

> But that's not the worst of it: though I haven't changed the data
> in kpilot, during subsequent synchs, all the accented characters
> now also appear weird in the Palm itself!

KPilot thinks the data on the desktop -- with broken characters due to
misinterpreting the charset -- is correct and copies it back.

> Is there anyway I may be able to fix this problem?

Fix the entries in KPilot, and those ought to overwrite the entries in the
Pilot again, now with the correct encoding.

> is in iso8859-1 or iso8859-15.  The thing is: though kpilot's
> address conduit has an "export to csv" option, I can find no
> corresponding import option).

The right tool is probably something on the command line, or going through
KAddressbook.

--
KDE Quality Team  http://www.englishbreakfastnetwork.org/
GPG: FEA2 A3FE    http://people.fruitsalad.org/adridg/