List:       kdepim-users
Subject:    [kdepim-users] Kpilot charset problems
From:       Jean Hoderd <jhoderd () yahoo ! com>
Date:       2006-08-26 11:58:28

Hi,

I am using kpilot 4.6.0 (KDE 3.5.4), with Kubuntu Dapper packages.
Here's the situation: I used kpilot to backup my Palm Pilot Vx.
While I was playing around with kpilot, I did the synchronisation
process a couple of times (should have been redundant).

The problem is that all characters with accents appeared wrong
in kpilot.  I checked its charset options, and by default it was
set to iso8859-15.  Now, I don't know which charset is used by
PalmOS, but I reckon it must be different.

But that's not the worst of it: though I haven't changed the data
in kpilot, during subsequent synchs, all the accented characters
now also appear weird in the Palm itself!   (Could it have been
some clock discrepancy which caused kpilot to assume the Palm's
data was out of date?)

Is there anyway I may be able to fix this problem?

(The good thing is that before the synch, I exported all the
address data -- the most important -- into a csv list.  So I
have the original data.  From what I can tell, this csv list
is in iso8859-1 or iso8859-15.  The thing is: though kpilot's
address conduit has an "export to csv" option, I can find no
corresponding import option).

Thanks in advance for your help!
Jean