List:       kdepim-users
Subject:    Re: [kdepim-users] Junk Filter is not working
From:       Anne Wilson <cannewilson () tiscali ! co ! uk>
Date:       2006-08-16 9:10:30

[Attachment #2 (multipart/signed)]

On Tuesday 15 August 2006 21:31, Quantum Scientific wrote:
> On Tuesday 15 August 2006 13:25, Anne Wilson wrote:
> > Something has to be wrong here, Ingo.  I carefully use the manual filter
> > every time bogofilter misses one, but it just isn't getting any better,
> > and I've been using it for months.
>
> How large is your ~/.bogofilter/wordlist.db?  Mine's 53,248 bytes.

I've just noticed something that may be relevant to the missed messages.  Some
of the ones I manually trained have the x-bogosity header, but some don't.  I
had a long discussion a couple of years ago with the PopFile developers about
a similar problem, and after sending them raw messages to examine they came
to the conclusion that some spammers were deliberately malforming headers.
What happens is that they cause a header line to appear to be the end of
headers to the reading program, and the spam filter writes to the end of the
real headers, so that the filter never sees it.

If this is the same problem there is nothing at all that bogofilter or
anything else can do about those particular messages, I think.  I am seeing
headers like this, though:

I wonder if I can get the spam-handling filter to use those as an optional
match?  I thought that maybe SA was putting them in, as I found it was still
installed, although not running.  However, I removed SA completely and they
are still there, so I don't know where they come from.

I'll keep an eye over the next few days on how many messages are simply a
matter of the training routine increasing the score, and how many have
missing x-bogosity headers.

Anne