List:       kdepim-users
Subject:    [kdepim-users] Re: Disappearing mail
From:       David P James <dpjames () rogers ! com>
Date:       2005-01-14 1:28:39

[Attachment #2 (multipart/signed)]

On Sat 8 January 2005 14:53, Chris Nicol wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I have just changed from Evolution to Kmail. I find Evolution is
> getting slower, less practical, and more and more corporate-oriented.
> I'm very pleased with Kontact and feel it has really improved and
> come of age.
>
> But I have a problem with my incoming mail. Some of it disappears
> when I select it. I click on the message and all details disappear.
> Instead, I am left with an empty message with "No Subject", sender:
> "Unknown" and Date: Jan 1 1970. This happens with only some of the
> messages.  Any idea why?

This can happen if your /tmp partition fills up. And it just so happens
that there is a bug with kate (as well as anything that uses it like
Quanta) that fills up /tmp at a rate of something like 400+kB/character
typed.

> And Kontact just stops responding for 20-30 seconds. I don't know
> why. Admittedly the laptop is an old Vaio PIII at 450MHz but it is
> still strange that it should be so slow at times.

Sounds like the same problem of /tmp filling up.

Regards,
--
David P James
Ottawa, Ontario