List:       kdepim-users
Subject:    Re: [kdepim-users] Disappearing mail
From:       Chris Gow <sniffy () rogers ! com>
Date:       2005-01-13 22:11:25

On January 8, 2005 02:53 pm, Chris Nicol wrote:
> Hi all,
> But I have a problem with my incoming mail. Some of it disappears when I
> select it. I click on the message and all details disappear. Instead, I am
> left with an empty message with "No Subject", sender: "Unknown" and Date:
> Jan 1 1970. This happens with only some of the messages.  Any idea why?
Are you using IMAP at all? I recall having similar issues when I connected via
IMAP. In my case, if I was viewing an email and kmail checked the server, the
email body would disappear. I can't recall if the subject et al also blanked
out. Oh and is this if you open the message in a new window or just by
clicking and viewing the message in the err..umm...preview pane?

<snip/>
> And Kontact just stops responding for 20-30 seconds. I don't know why.
> Admittedly the laptop is an old Vaio PIII at 450MHz but it is still strange
> that it should be so slow at times.
Do you have spamassassin or bogofilter installed and running? Is kmail
checking email when this happens or does it appear randomly, do you see a lot
of disk activity when this happens?.  I had this too on my laptop (SuSe 8.2,
kde 3.3.2 updated by SuSe). First there was a lot of disk activity which was
attributed to spamassassin. Then when I updated to 3.3.2 I would still get
freezing. It got so painful that kontact was becoming pretty much useless for
me and I decided that I had to add more ram (from 256 up to 768) that has
cleared up most of the problems. It wasn't swapping so much as just sitting
there. No cpu activity, no hdd activity, no nothing. The rest of the system
ran fine.

> Finally, I have had problems with the folder import script (KmailCVT). It
> crashes in the middle of the process. I must admit it's a large process: I
> have several Gb of mail in Evolution (46.000+ messages), but I have had to
> import it one folder at a time. It's taking me days of work!
I can't recall, do you even need to do that? Doesn't evolution just keep its
mail in the same place as kmail eg. ~/Mail?

hth

-- chris