List:       kdepim-users
Subject:    Re: [kdepim-users] Disappearing mail
From:       Dave Fancella <dave () davefancella ! com>
Date:       2005-01-14 1:41:58

On Saturday 08 January 2005 01:53 pm, Chris Nicol wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I have just changed from Evolution to Kmail. I find Evolution is getting
> slower, less practical, and more and more corporate-oriented. I'm very
> pleased with Kontact and feel it has really improved and come of age.

Kontact rocks.  I feel like it's my secret weapon that'll get me through
college.  :)

> But I have a problem with my incoming mail. Some of it disappears when I
> select it. I click on the message and all details disappear. Instead, I am
> left with an empty message with "No Subject", sender: "Unknown" and Date:
> Jan 1 1970. This happens with only some of the messages.  Any idea why?

I've seen this happen when KMail exits uncleanly, like if you unplug the power
cable while KMail is running.

> And Kontact just stops responding for 20-30 seconds. I don't know why.
> Admittedly the laptop is an old Vaio PIII at 450MHz but it is still strange
> that it should be so slow at times.

This is something I've been noticing since my last OS upgrade.  I've been
blaming KMail/SpamAssassin for shamefully doing their hardwork within the GUI
thread, and patiently waiting for the next version for it to be fixed.  :)
(no time to fix it myself, hence no complaints)

> Finally, I have had problems with the folder import script (KmailCVT). It
> crashes in the middle of the process. I must admit it's a large process: I
> have several Gb of mail in Evolution (46.000+ messages), but I have had to
> import it one folder at a time. It's taking me days of work!

Hmmmm, I've imported and exported mail back and forth between Evolution and
KMail numerous times and have *never* had a problem with it.  Numerous
folders each time, too.  Not quite 46,000 messages, but > 10,000.  Haven't
used any external scripts to do it either, just used the two program's
built-in export/import features.

Dave

> I would apprciate your help with these problems.
>
> Regards,
>
> Chris

Visit my website!
http://www.davefancella.com/?event=em

Love may laugh at locksmiths, but he has a profound respect for money bags.
		-- Sidney Paternoster, "The Folly of the Wise"