List:       kdepim-users
Subject:    [kdepim-users] Re: [Kde-pim] Kmail addresses & filters
From:       Ingo =?iso-8859-1?q?Kl=F6cker?= <kloecker () kde ! org>
Date:       2004-08-26 15:58:55

[Attachment #2 (multipart/signed)]

On Thursday 26 August 2004 11:02, Tom Taylor wrote:
> Hi all:
>
> I'm new on this list and have looked through the archive without
> finding all of the information I wish.

The kdepim-users mailing list is more appropriate for this kind of
questions.

> My problem, how to get the filters and mail stored on my old box (RH
> 7.2, Kmail 1.4.1, KDE 3.0.0) onto the new box (FC 2, Kmail 1.6.2, KDE
> 3.2.2-6RH). There are several hundred saved messages and about 40
> filters.  Studying the formats of the ~/.kde/share/config/kmailrc
> files in both boxes, they seem to be somewhat different.

Ideally you would have simply copied your complete home directory or at
least ~/Mail and ~/.kde to your new machine. Now you can simply copy
~/Mail and ~/.kde/share/config/kmailrc. KDE has provisions to
automatically update configuration files.

> I was able to get the address book imported using the vCard format.
> For some reason the Addressbook.csv exported from the old system
> isn't readable on the new one.

CSV is just a comma separated list of all address book entries. There's
no information about the type of the fields, so it's not surprising
that importing didn't work. The preferred format for exchanging address
information is vCard. CSV is only useful if vCard isn't an option, e.g.
if you want to run a simple Perl/Python/whatever script for all
addresses or if you want to import addresses in a spread sheet
application.

Regards,
Ingo