List:       kdepim-users
Subject:    [kdepim-users] Re: Moving email from one PC to another
From:       Ingo =?iso-8859-1?q?Kl=F6cker?= <kloecker () kde ! org>
Date:       2004-01-27 0:59:51

[Attachment #2 (multipart/signed)]

On Monday 26 January 2004 06:52, Michael Brennan Sayer wrote:
> I know this has come up before, but I have been unable to find any
> info searching the forums.
>
> I have KMail email on a lap top that I want to move to my desktop.  I
> created a "temp" directory in KMail on the laptop and then copied all
> the mail from the other folders into this temp folder.  After closing
> KMail, I then went to my home>mail folder and copied the temp
> directory to a cdrom disc.  I also took with this directory the
> corresponding .index files.  So far I've tried these methods - all
> gave me the same results on the desktop PC.

The following should work:
1.) Create a new "temp" folder in mbox format.
2.) Copy all messages you want to copy to your desktop to the temp
folder.
3.) Copy ~/Mail/temp to a cdrom.
4.) On the desktop, start KMail and select Tools->Import Messages...
5.) In the KMailCVT Import Tool chose "Import mbox Files", click Next
and then select the temp file on the cdrom.

Alternatively to the steps 1-2 you can also simply save all messages
(but only per folder) with File->Save As. KMail saves messages in mbox
format.

Regards,
Ingo