List:       kdepim-users
Subject:    [kdepim-users] Moving email from one PC to another
From:       Michael Brennan Sayer <bsayers () emirates ! net ! ae>
Date:       2004-01-26 5:52:36

I know this has come up before, but I have been unable to find any info
searching the forums.

I have KMail email on a lap top that I want to move to my desktop.  I created
a "temp" directory in KMail on the laptop and then copied all the mail from
the other folders into this temp folder.  After closing KMail, I then went to
my home>mail folder and copied the temp directory to a cdrom disc.  I also
took with this directory the corresponding .index files.  So far I've tried
these methods - all gave me the same results on the desktop PC.

Copied the temp directory from the cd to ./mail directory - on launching KMail
the directory appears and on opening the directory all the mail appears to be
there - but when I click on any of the entries I get a blank mail with
"subject=no subject", "sender=unknown" and date=01.01.1970" - the size does
not alter.

I've tried many variations on this theme, including creating the same
directory in KMail itself and then doing the copy - same result.

Deleting the .index files - same result

Just copying the new temp directory into the ./mail directory with and without
the index files - same result.

The only difference between the two PCs is that the laptop (from machine) is
running KMail 1.5.4 using KDE 3.1.4 and the desk top (to machine) is running
KMail 1.6 using KDE 3.2 RC1.  I am using KMail inside Kontact.

I'm sure there must be a way????  If some one could give a blow by account I'd
be very grateful.

Help appreciated

Michael
--