List:       kdepim-users
Subject:    Re: [kdepim-users] KDE/RedHat font hell
From:       Carlos Leonhard Woelz <carloswoelz () imap-mail ! com>
Date:       2004-01-16 19:49:40

[Attachment #2 (multipart/signed)]

On Friday 16 January 2004 15:10, Steve Cohen wrote:
> I have a RedHat 9.0 system, running KDE 1.5.
> I started messing with fonts in the KDE Control Center and I've been most
> dissatisfied with the results.  What looks good in one place turns out to
> have nasty side effects elsewhere.  Mozilla fonts, for example now look
> like total crap.  I would like to just revert to the defaults, but
> unfortunately, the "Defaults" button in the Control Center seems to revert
> to some KDE standard, not to the way RedHat shipped including fonts that do
> not seem to be supplied with RedHat.
>
> If nothing else, if I knew where this information was stored (what font for
> what screen element type) I could create a new user and copy the settings
> from one user's file to another's.  But I just can't find what I'm looking
> for.  Help!

Hi Steve,

This is a general system question, not related to kde-pim, and should be
directed either to red hat or kde-linux@kde.org.

But I will give a shot anyway:

Linux has five man toolkits, each with their own configuration sheme:

Qt-KDE
Gtk1-Gnome
Gtk2-Gnome
Mozilla
OpenOffice

Fonts configuration in one subsystem does not affect the other. KDE is
addressing this issues, as you can see in the integrative work:
http://dot.kde.org/1073599985/    <= Gtk integration
http://dot.kde.org/1073557624/    <= OpenOffice integration

But today, you still have to use Mozilla to set up Mozilla fonts, the gnome
control center to set up GTK fonts, and the OpenOffice configuration to set
up OpenOffice fonts. KDE Control Center sets all Qt-KDE apps fonts only.

Yes, it is a font hell. But I am sure it will be better in future Linux
releases, as there are people working on it.

Cheers,

Carlos Woelz