List:       kde-zine
Subject:    Re: [Kde-zine] in reply to Andreas
From:       Darian Lanx <content () openprojects ! net>
Date:       2001-07-12 19:09:49

<snip>

> Yes, please do (privately).
done

<snip>
> I don't care what you do with the backend, that's your department.  If I
> store it in a database now you can retrieve the values easily.  I can
> send it to you in a CSV file or in whatever format you want, as long as
> the fields are separate in the database I can throw any separator
> between them you ask for.
Well, no need to do that. I can do that on Bero's machine. That is no
problem, but thank you for the offer.

> > We have about 20 days static data and then in the 10
> > days when we tag the new release and generate the html the data gets
> > moved. We decided it is faster and more secure to leave everything on the
> > hard disk and do not put another "mediator" between data storage and
> > publishing "system".
>
> Well, I don't agree with your reasoning, but that doesn't matter, since
> it's your project.  Using a database does not slow the page down, unless
> you use a stupid roll-your-own database like Zope does.  At kde.com, for
> example, the database is never the bottleneck, and we get quite fast
> times when accessing the mail database (which is about 200MB in size).
> The nice thing about a database is you can easily switch programming
> languages, backends, servers, split database from client, provide info
> in different formats, etc.
Well, a databse is always a bottle neck, especially when it comes to
databases not meant for high volume transaction like mysql for example.
I am not going to go into the low down explanation of the thecnical issues, I
am sure you are well aware of them. Keeping static data within a File System
will always outrun any datanase at any time.
I do agree, that the data is not as flexible, that is why we would store it
in XML. in a way, xml with all its additional technologies is providing what
a dabase provides, jsut without the overhead.

<snip>

> We can dream, but I also don't think we should shut the zine down if we
> get only 2 articles.  Plus when you are online I don't know what you
> mean by publishing "monthly" -- don't the articles get released as soon
> as received?  The "hold until it's stale" approach makes sense only in
> printed issues, which we don't have yet.  Once we get 10 articles a
> month will maybe be the time to consider a printed version.

no. we are no news site. we do not do breaking news. We are not the cutting
edge of news. We publish articles. Like any print publication would. We are
not going to replace the dot., The dot is for annoucements and breaking news.
We are for lenghty, into detail articles. if you read the zine mailing lists
archive you might find that mentione dmore than once. I think i am more than
in complicane with Herve in this point
<snip>
Well, i thank you for all the thought yu put into this. As I said. i am no
longer watching over this, my work doe snot permit me to do that. but I will
set it up on beros machine, once this is all settled
-d
--
Nisi Defectum Haud Reficindium