List:       kde-zine
Subject:    Re: [Kde-zine] in reply to Andreas
From:       Andreas Pour <pour () mieterra ! com>
Date:       2001-07-12 20:03:06

Darian Lanx wrote:

> <snip>
> >
> > Yes, please do (privately).
> done

thanks.

[ ... ]

> Well, a databse is always a bottle neck, especially when it comes to
> databases not meant for high volume transaction like mysql for example.

I think you are misinformed here.  MySQL is designed exactly for high
volumes.  As it doesn't support transactions, it is far faster than its
competitors.  Have a look at
http://www.mysql.com/doc/M/y/MySQL_Benchmarks.html, particularly the
"reading" (as that is what the database would do most of the time).

> I am not going to go into the low down explanation of the thecnical issues, I
> am sure you are well aware of them. Keeping static data within a File System
> will always outrun any datanase at any time.

Provided you don't do any searches, yes.  But once you allow people to
search the articles or authors or what not, if you use a file system you
will have to use an index or a database.

> I do agree, that the data is not as flexible, that is why we would store it
> in XML. in a way, xml with all its additional technologies is providing what
> a dabase provides, jsut without the overhead.

Databases don't have that much overhead.

> <snip>
> >
> > We can dream, but I also don't think we should shut the zine down if we
> > get only 2 articles.  Plus when you are online I don't know what you
> > mean by publishing "monthly" -- don't the articles get released as soon
> > as received?  The "hold until it's stale" approach makes sense only in
> > printed issues, which we don't have yet.  Once we get 10 articles a
> > month will maybe be the time to consider a printed version.
> >
> no. we are no news site. we do not do breaking news. We are not the cutting
> edge of news. We publish articles. Like any print publication would. We are
> not going to replace the dot., The dot is for annoucements and breaking news.
> We are for lenghty, into detail articles. if you read the zine mailing lists
> archive you might find that mentione dmore than once. I think i am more than
> in complicane with Herve in this point

Hmm, but I don't follow.  Why hold the articles?  I have been subscribed
since day 1 and my recollection (not necessarily correct) is that we
would publish articles online when available and do the
newsletter/printie thing on a timetable.

[ ... ]

Ciao,

Dre