List:       kde-www
Subject:    Re: techbase wiki question
From:       Mark Volkert <mark.volkert () rakekniven ! de>
Date:       2007-03-23 14:46:12

Am Freitag, 23. März 2007 schrieben Sie:
> On Thursday 22 March 2007, Mark Volkert wrote:
> > Hope I am right here?
> > There is no contact link on the Main_page.
> >
> > I would like to convert a german tutorial from html to wiki code.
> > I know how to that, but I don't know the naming rules.
> > The page I am talking about is
> > http://techbase.kde.org/Development/Tutorials/Shell_Scripting_with_KDE_Di
> >alogs
> >
> > Should I use "De:Shell_Scripting_with_KDE_Dialogs" like the amarok wiki
> > is doing it?
> > Or "Shell_Scripting_with_KDE_Dialogs_(german)"?
>
> To tell the truth, I/we haven't yet checked how translation works in a sane
> way - especially with regard to subpages.
>
> Example - what would the translated url look like? Maybe
> (1) de:Development/Tutorials/Shell_Scripting_with_KDE_Dialogs or
> (2) Development/Tutorials/Shell_Scripting_with_KDE_Dialogs/de
> (3) Development/Tutorials/de:Shell_Scripting_with_KDE_Dialogs
> (4) ...?
>
> I'm not sure whether mediawiki has a common translation system at all ;)
Not that I am aware of it.

> How good will the synchronisation work if the original text will be
> changed?
The transalator has to subscribe to the english page.

> How will a user find a translations of a page?
e.g. http://amarok.kde.org/wiki/MySQL_HowTo

There is language frame on top of the page. This frame is generated using
code "{{Template:I18n/MySQL_HowTo}}". This include
page "Template:I18n/MySQL_HowTo".

Code of Template:I18n/MySQL_HowTo
//
#AAAAAA; background-color: #FFFFFF; margin: 0.3em; padding: 0.25em;"
valign="top">
//

So for each page which has a translation you need a file for adding language
bar. Just an idea.

> How much will be translated? If it is pretty much everything this sounds
> like almost copying the wiki (one could even argue whether to setup extra
> wikis) ;)
But that makes only sense if much content is translated.

> How do we make sure our wiki will be kept 'clean' / not be cluttered over
> time?
You need a person called "cleaner" ;-)

Cheers,
Mark

--
MarkyMark listen to "WASP - The Real Me"