List:       kde-www
Subject:    Re: techbase wiki question
From:       Dominik Haumann <dhdev () gmx ! de>
Date:       2007-03-23 11:11:52

On Thursday 22 March 2007, Mark Volkert wrote:
> Hope I am right here?
> There is no contact link on the Main_page.
>
> I would like to convert a german tutorial from html to wiki code.
> I know how to that, but I don't know the naming rules.
> The page I am talking about is
> http://techbase.kde.org/Development/Tutorials/Shell_Scripting_with_KDE_Di
>alogs
>
> Should I use "De:Shell_Scripting_with_KDE_Dialogs" like the amarok wiki
> is doing it?
> Or "Shell_Scripting_with_KDE_Dialogs_(german)"?

To tell the truth, I/we haven't yet checked how translation works in a sane
way - especially with regard to subpages.

Example - what would the translated url look like? Maybe
(1) de:Development/Tutorials/Shell_Scripting_with_KDE_Dialogs or
(2) Development/Tutorials/Shell_Scripting_with_KDE_Dialogs/de
(3) Development/Tutorials/de:Shell_Scripting_with_KDE_Dialogs
(4) ...?

I'm not sure whether mediawiki has a common translation system at all ;)

How good will the synchronisation work if the original text will be changed?
How will a user find a translations of a page?

How much will be translated? If it is pretty much everything this sounds
like almost copying the wiki (one could even argue whether to setup extra
wikis) ;)

How do we make sure our wiki will be kept 'clean' / not be cluttered over
time?

Just some thoughts -- ideas are of course welcome :)

Dominik