List:       kde-www
Subject:    Re: Development
From:       Adriaan de Groot <groot () kde ! org>
Date:       2005-04-02 9:19:57

On Saturday 02 April 2005 05:29, Benjamin Meyer wrote:
> On Saturday 02 April 2005 6:32 am, Rainer Endres wrote:
> > Removing all development related links from the main site is not the
> > solution, IMHO.
>
> Nope, just a step.
>
> > Not unless there is a clear indication we are an Open Source Project were
> > the most important contribution is participattion in programming and that
> > our developers are an important part of the project.
>
> True, everything else needs to be cleaned up / trimmed down too so it
> stands out just as much as the other things.

This is true. The website _is_ a mishmash of links of varying importance and
-- much like kcontrol -- it really needs an iron hand to organize it, and
make it accessible. Looking at Ben's first suggestions:

1) Removing link to source code. I don't know .. KDE only provides source, so
it's kind of weird to make that, the primary product that we offer, available
only at one remove.

2) Web reference
3) Source reference - agreed, this is something that really is developer
specific.

4) Bugs. No, this needs to stay, since it's pretty central to an Open Source
project that you can report bugs.

5) i18n & docs are (unfortunately, often) separate activities from
development, and I think these two links address a different audience than
developers; hence, they should be visible here.

6) Getting involved can move, sure.

However, this is still bikeshedding of the worst sort (on my part). If you
don't know who your target audience is, and don't know _why_ you're
communicating something, then you can't possibly design a site that makes
sense (or write an article, or whatever). We can argue all night long about
what links are most important or belong where as long as those arguments are
based on the opinion of one single person (who has a vested interest in
dicking with the site, no less). A more productive argument is to decide who
the audience is ("The Pope, Madonna, and Saddam Hussein" would be a possible
outcome of that -- then we go and ask them what they think). Then work from
there.

[FWIW, links I would meddle with on the front page are the pim.kde.org link in
Applications, which is a developer-oriented site. The PIM applications all
live under Kontact.org (or separately). The KDE-on-X sites aren't really KDE
projects and should probably be listed elsewhere -- perhaps via links in
"Deploy". KDE Myths is .. dated, I think, and why address these on the main
page? ]

--
These are your friends - Adem
    GPG: FEA2 A3FE Adriaan de Groot