List:       kde-www
Subject:    Re: Development
From:       "Barry O'Donovan" <barry.odonovan () kdemail ! net>
Date:       2005-04-02 11:01:20

On Friday 01 April 2005 23:53, Benjamin Meyer wrote:
> This all falls under the category of develop stuff doesn't belong on
> kde's main page, but in developer.kde.org
>
> Does anyone object to me
>
> -Removing "Development Source Code" from the Download box

Absolutely. KDE is an open source project and every blurb we have on
what is KDE mentions that fact. A link to the source code should
definitely be prominent on the main web page.

> In the Develop box remove:
> -WebCVS (in developer.kde.org)

Sort of - it is an easy way for the curious and for beginners to
actually see the code. What about placing it under the target for the
first link in your list.

> -Source Reference (in developer.kde.org)

No but I cannot find it on developer.kde.org - maybe I'm blind?

> -Bugs ( add to developer.kde.org Sitemap box)

Again - yes and definitely yes. But it doesn't necessarily have to stay
in its current form. I think a "Report a bug" link would be better. But
the average user has to be able to come to the main webpage and easily
let the developers know about a bug/wish/etc that they have. If they
have to jump through hoops to find it then the bugs just won't get
reported.

> -Translation, Documentation ( add to developer.kde.org Sitemap box)

Again - definitely yes. Most translators and documentation writers are
not developers. Developers - myself included - _hate_ writing
documentation. I know the Irish translators are not developers. In the
same way as the bugs above, these areas have to be obviously accessable
or we run the risk of losing contributors.

> -Getting Involved ( Move to Inform box )

As long as it's somewhere. And some of it may already be covered under
"Supporting KDE" - that doesn't mean there shouldn't be a "Getting
Involved" box.

B.

--
Regards,