List:       kde-www
Subject:    Re: Site Maintenance
From:       Frerich Raabe <frerichraabe () gmx ! de>
Date:       2001-12-14 20:29:40

Am Freitag, 14. Dezember 2001 17:10 schrieb John Rizzo:
> I posted a message to kde-www and I haven't really gotten much of a
> response back other than that the site seems to be working.

:-}

> Here is what I propose.  I would like to take an active roal in maintaining
> the site.  I want to make sure that everyone that needs to be able to
> modify the site has the ability as is the case now.  I would also like to
> add the ability for people to update the site via the web and not just
> through cvs while still mainting features such as revision control.

What advantage does updating the site via the web and not "just" through CVS
get us that it is worth the effort?

> I am also interested in adding the ability to create versions of the site
> so that we can update and make changes to the site without them becoming
> visible until the changes are ready and tested.

That's a nice idea. I'm curious how you'd do that.

> We should keep the features of the site that update themselves
> automatically such as the api section, etc.  I would like to add the
> ability for the site to automatically download information from other sites
> that pertain to kde. Obviously this would have to go through some kind of
> moderation to ensure that the news/information pertains to kde and is
> appropriate.
>
> Ok so one step at a time right.  I believe that I can accomplish much of
> this using zope as the content management system.  I would like to take the
> current incarnation of the site and duplicate it using zope.  I would use
> all the usefull utilities such as templates, caching, etc that are
> available through zope.  Much of the dynamic sections of the site that use
> php can still be leveraged since integrating php with zope is trivial.
> Once this proof of concept is available and consistant with the existing
> site I can make it available to other people that are interested in helping
> with the site and see what they think.  Any appropriate changes could be
> made.  Then when its ready would could implement it as kde.org.

That's a start, I'd say. Get something working, and then people might jump
aboard (or refuse to do so, for reasons they'll hopefull point out then).

> I am only offering this because I would like to see the kde.org site become
> more popular than it already is.  I believe that if I am able to separate
> the site structure from the content we would be able to get more people to
> contribute and it would make life easier for those that already contribute.

Sounds like a honorable goal.

> And it will make adding features to the site easier.  I also believe that
> the site should be worked on in a manner similar to the rest of the kde
> development.  We should make timelines and tasks just like with other
> aspects of the project.
>
> Let me know what you guys think.  If people agree then I could start
> working on it next week.

Go for it! What I'm personally very interested in is how separating the logic
from the interface benefits the translation teams. I think it would be nice
if we could use one "engine" (like a very extensive CSS or so) which then
renders all pages, no matter for which translation, appropriately and
homogeneously. This should not be a requirement though (since the translation
teams add more or less country-specific information to their pages), but I
think it'd keep the main, english site more in sync with the translated pages.

- Frerich