List:       kde-user
Subject:    Re: Anti-aliasing in KDE: minor success
From:       "akar 'th 'orrible" <akar () optusnet ! com ! au>
Date:       2001-06-30 22:34:25

It is possible that Xfree4.1.0 has fixed some problems other than those
listed as changes.
Until now you could not use the windows font directory directly and even if
you could you shouldnt because Paul is giving very bad advice.
YOU NEVER ATTACH CRITICAL SYSTEM FUNCTIONS TO 1) A drive that has to be
separately mounted or automounted as you windows-drv always is AND 2) You do
not use a non-linux file system without permissions and ownerships for any
type of system files even fonts)

The xfs version thing Paul mentions is irrelevant as you dont use xfs for
xfree4.x.x and was only mentioned as all font servers from then till now
including freetype in xfree <4.1
It is possible that freetype has been modified to ignore garbage in the
folder and it is possiblr that the ttmkfdir that comes with Xfree4.1 no
longer needs mkfontdir and it is also possible that neither ttmkfdir nor
mkfontdir need to be run properly without the relevant switches, and its
possible that it will still generate all the encodings instead of just the
default, BUT I DOUBT IT.
You may be able to get it to work that way but just wait till you try to
read emails/web pages in different encodings. Most of you would already
understand the stupidity of accessing the fonts directly from windows so I
wont go into it but if modifications to xfree allow this then we should
change it back so it hangs on the garbage so as not to introduce bad
practices.
In closing;
1- Most distro have their own tool for importing window fonts and will do it
properly including generating a fonts.dir with the correct encodings etc and
copying the fonts only to a new linux folder. USE IT IF AVAILABLE.
2- If not then follow the correct procedure as written in numerous guides.
These may have to be updated for those with xfree4.1 to say you dont have to
delete the garbage but you should anyway because each garbage file in a font
dir has to be read, analysed and discarded even if it doesnt make the server
fall over. So for efficiency alone you should do it. No guide will ever tell
you its OK to read your fonts directly from windows even if you can and nor
will any distros font installer ever do that.

A little knowledge can be a dangerous thing as they say, and Paul you really
should not be advising new users to do anything when you know absolutely
nothing about linux.

ANDREW