List:       kde-user
Subject:    Re: kmenu icons
From:       "akar 'th 'orrible" <akar () optusnet ! com ! au>
Date:       2001-06-30 22:52:20

----- Original Message -----
From: "John Hunt" <jrhunt@iee.org>
To: "KDE User List" <kde-user@lists.netcentral.net>
Sent: Thursday, June 28, 2001 8:28 AM

> akar
>
> On Wednesday 27 June 2001 15:14, akar 'th 'orrible wrote:
> > What to do for the millionth time whenever you upgrade is to rename your
> > home/use/.kde to something else from the console and let KDE regenerate
it
> > next start.
>
> Do you also need to delete (or rename) anything in /usr/share/config or
> /etc/skel?
No

> When I upgraded from KDE1 to KDE2.0 I cleared out /home/user/.kde, but
> nothing else.  I can't create menu items reliably in K menu editor, and
some
> icons are screwed.  I have assumed that I failed to remove something of
KDE1
> before the upgrade.  I'm about to upgrade again, and I'd like to get it
right.

> Apart from /home/user/.kde/share/applnk and /usr/share/applnk, what other
> locations does kde merge to form the menu?

That depends on the distribution but they are the default ones, that is if
your new kde is installed in /usr. Your kde menu-editor should edit
correctly although some distros like Mandrake have their own editor to mix
kde and gnome. Some distros put their apps in usr/share/applnk.kde and thir
gnome kde linkd in usr/share/applnk or in etc/xxx/applnk
Menus are stored as a hierarchial directory structure with .desktop files
for each app. You can edit these manually just by dragging and dropping in
Konq.
Andrew