List:       kde-user
Subject:    Re: Colour control on 256 colour platform under KDE 2.x
From:       Kyle_S_Hoyt () raytheon ! com
Date:       2001-06-04 13:19:59

By putting KDE in locolor mode, you do restrict the kde desktop /
window manager to use only 40 colors.  The problem is the icons and
then other applications.  I removed the hicolor icon directory
(/usr/share/icons)
and then made a link to the locolor icon directory and called it hicolor.
I'm
not sure if this is necessary but I wanted to make sure hicolor is not used
and if I just deleted the hicolor directory, I would not get any icons.  I
do not know why.

I then remvoed the 32x32 and 22x22 in the locolor icon directory and I
also removed gnome off the menu since they are using hicolor pixmaps.

After doing the above kde uses only 60 colors after login.  After bringing
up apps, the available colors will go away.  Netscape will use up most
of them but it can also be started with a -install option and it will
allocate
a private colormap.  Acrobat reader is another program that will eat up
the colors.

Note, because I got rid of the 32x32 icons, the desktop icons are quite
small but I don't care.  I guess I could slowly add in the 32x32 icons
that I need but have not gone through that pain.

Kyle

Matthew Clark <matt@eee.nottingham.ac.uk> on 06/04/2001 07:27:19 AM

Please respond to kde-user@lists.netcentral.net