List:       kde-user
Subject:    Re: WAV to MP3 Program
From:       Robert Voigt <f1k () gmx ! de>
Date:       2001-04-30 6:47:15

On Monday 30 April 2001 04:47, mhf wrote:
> Wow, I haven't heard about this until now.  Can you burn these ogg files
> onto CD, and most standard cd players will understand the format and give
> audio playback?

Of course you can make audio CDs from your ogg files. But I don't know if
there's a burning program yet that does the decompression automatically, like
some fancy burning programs do it with mp3. But you can simply decompress the
ogg files for instance with ogg123 (commandline) or xmms (disk writer output)
to wav files and burn the wav files.
This gives you audio CDs that all CD players can read, with 74 minutes per
CD.
You can also burn your ogg files directly on a cdrom (without decompressing =
800 minutes per CD), but then you can only play them back on your computer
right now. AFAIK there's no disk mp3 player yet that can play ogg files. But
there will be in the future. The Iomega hipzip for instance is a solid state
mp3 player that will support ogg in the future (prototypes have been sighted).

In the last email in reply to Henri I forgot to mention Grip. It's a GUI
ripper and encoder that can use oggenc for compressing to ogg, just like it
can use lame to compress to mp3.