List:       kde-user
Subject:    Re: Unreliable Kppp
From:       "akar 'th 'orrible" <trader2001 () bigpond ! com ! au>
Date:       2001-04-29 17:52:45

On Monday 30 April 2001 03:04, Chris Howells wrote:

> Quite possibly. The problem is I don't particularly know where to
> check -- hence I asked.

Yes having a bit better idea of why it is hanging up would work. Do
your logs such as /var/log/messages give more detail? They should,
specifically what is happening when ppp takes over and whether it is
getting stuck on auth or getting its DNS addresses.

Which brings a though to mind. Using multiple dialler on current linux
systems is not a good idea for the reason that they all use the same
'historic' config file for ppp. which is /etc/ppp/options. Now kppp
does NOT use this file but if the file is NOT empty it will cause
problems with ppp because ppp may get conflicting data.

Check out those two issues.
And I wasn't being pedantic about kppp, I was trying to point out that
it is only writing a command line so you should be looking where the
real cause is likely to be, in this case I have a strong suspicion of
that options file. Also your connection for the modem should be
directly to ttyS0 not a modem sysmlnk, so just check that although I
think it is right.

--
Regards,

Andrew