List:       kde-user
Subject:    Re: Unreliable Kppp
From:       Chris Howells <chrish () gmx ! co ! uk>
Date:       2001-04-29 17:04:31

akar 'th 'orrible wrote:

> Kppp is not unreliable, it is one of the most stable and useful

Not everybody may find it reliable like you do. Anway, did not say it
was unstable -- I said it was unreliable. There is a difference, I
think.

> with kppp because all it did is set up the command line for ppp, in
> other words kppp is just a shell for pppd.

I'm aware of that.

> With your error kppp is fulfilling its task and dialling reliably, I
> cant see why you are attributing a problem to kppp when by your own

My wording may have been slightly careless, but I think that's getting
in the way of the point.

I dial with kppp: I frequently get the problem.

I dial using wvdial: I never get the problem.

I don't know if it does to anybody else, but to me that would suggest
that there is a misconfiguration with kppp -- probably a wrong setting
somewhere.

> statements it is working fine and making the connection and handing it
> over to pppd. and THERE is where the error is occurring. What makes it
> complicated is that you say it is not all the time (just frequently)

Yes.

>     If it was all the time then there are a few things that could cause
> to do with permissions etc and the kppp user manual (press 'help' in
> kppp) is excellent in this regard.

Indeed, and I have already read through that when I couldn't get kppp to
dial at all.

> problem is only sometimes. The only case where something should work
> sometimes and not others is when you are logging in between being a
> user and being root.

Yes. I'm am my normal user throughout however.

> I am not very familiar with wvdial but as far as I know it is just a
> ssmart dialer and would still hand over to pppd when the connection is
> made.

Indeed.

> I think you should be looking at ppps as your prime suspect since
> your prob is happening when ppp should be negotiating mtu/mru DNS etc

Quite possibly. The problem is I don't particularly know where to check
-- hence I asked.

--
Chris Howells
E-Mail: chris.h@gmx.co.uk