List:       kde-user
Subject:    Re: Doco on how to install KDE 2.0 : for the rest of us dummies?
From:       paul.c.leopardi () ac ! com
Date:       2000-09-11 8:17:41

Simple installation instructions for KDE1.93 on SuSE 6.4

KDE 1.93 was really easy for me to install from RPMs. Here is a simplified
version of the steps I took to install on my machine*.

The result is an installation of KDE2 which does not know my old KDE
settings, but which allows me to log in and use either KDE2 or KDE 1.1.2.
This may not be the "right" way to obtain and install KDE1.93, but it
worked for me. KDE2 came up OK, including sound. If this is the "wrong" way
to install, will someone please let me know what problems this will cause?

Steps
0. Start with SuSE Linx 6.4 running KDE 1.1.2 with kdm
1. Obtain *.rpm from
ftp://ftp.kde.org/pub/kde/unstable/distribution/2.0Beta4/rpm/SuSE/6.4-i386/
or a mirror as per http://www.kde.org/mirrors.html
2. Create the following shell script and run it as root:

rpm -U ksupp2-1.93-0.i386.rpm
rpm -U klibs2-1.93-0.i386.rpm
rpm -U kbase2-1.93-0.i386.rpm
rpm -U kadmin2-1.93-0.i386.rpm
rpm -U kdoc2-1.93-0.i386.rpm
rpm -U kgames2-1.93-0.i386.rpm
rpm -U kgraph2-1.93-0.i386.rpm
rpm -U kmulti2-1.93-0.i386.rpm
rpm -U knet2-1.93-0.i386.rpm
rpm -U koffice-1.93-0.i386.rpm
rpm -U kpim2-1.93-0.i386.rpm
rpm -U ktoys2-1.93-0.i386.rpm
rpm -U kutils2-1.93-0.i386.rpm
rpm -U libaps-2000_04_14-12.rpm
rpm -U kde2en-1.93-1.i386.rpm
rpm -U kde2engb-1.93-1.i386.rpm
#

3. Log out and reboot. [Don't know if reboot is really needed]
4. Login as root to kde using kdm
5. In kde, in kcontrol, go to Applications -> Login Manager
6. In Login Manager, add the choice kde2 and leave kde as is.
7. Log out and reboot. [Don't know if reboot is really needed]
8. You can now log in using kde, kde2 or other window managers.
9. KDE2 will not know your old KDE settings.
10. You can import settings from KDE to KDE2 by running old and new
programs side by side.
Examples are kppp and kcontrol.

Notes for Step 2:
   The first 3 lines must be in this order and must precede all the other
   lines. This ensures that RPM handles dependencies in the right order.
   If you are wondering where QT went, so was I until I examined these
   files with kPackage Viewer (KPV). QT is in ksupp2-1.93-0.i386.rpm This
   is why it must come first.
   The last two files come from the localized/ subdirectory. You may want
   to use other files to cover other languages.
   You can change the file names to full path names and run the script from
   a different directory. I even have read that you can prepend the URL
   above to each file name so that RPM uses FTP, and thus skip step 1. I
   have not tried this myself.
   When KDE2 is bundled with SuSE Linux, I would expect that YAST would be
   able to handle the installation.
   I tried using YAST with the FTP URL given above, but found that YAST was
   looking for "installation medium" with a specific directory structure,
   so this did not work.

* My machine:  Gateway Essentials 500SEC, 182MB RAM, 10GB disk, ATI Rage
128 graphics card, ...