List:       kde-user
Subject:    Re: sound
From:       Vadim Plessky <lucy-ples () mtu-net ! ru>
Date:       2000-08-14 4:24:49

On Mon, 14 Aug 2000, Robyn Manning wrote:
> Hi guys,
>
> When are we likely to get sound in Kde? I'm currently using version 1.91
> beta.
>
> TIA
>
> Robyn

I have sound in KDE (1.93 beta3), but it works strange on my machine.
When I move window or open menu, i hear "flicks" and "clicks".
Computer I run is Compaq PIII/600, equiped with ESS Solo 1. (Mandrake Linux
7.0)

But, when I run new MidiSynth, sound quality is excellent.
To have sound under KDE2, you need to install ALSA library (Advanced Linux
Sound Architecture).
You can get more info from www.alsa-project.org

It's strange that official KDE site doesn't mention that this library needed
to get sound.

In any case, even with ALSA I don't have Aureal 3D, which is present when I
boot my Windows 98.

--
Best Regards,

Vadim Plessky