List:       kde-user
Subject:    Re: kmail questions
From:       <Keith.Refson () earth ! ox ! ac ! uk>
Date:       1999-10-30 10:17:29

 > On Thu, Oct 28, 1999 at 09:44:04AM +0100, Thomas Ribbrock Design/DEG" wrote:
 >
 > > I'm in the process of evaluating kmail. While I really like the way it
 > > interacts with kfm and other k-apps, I have a few questions:

I have just been trying it out too, and though it seems promising
there are still enough rough edges that it will need some improvement
before I can use it seriously.  But perhaps I have not managed to
 misunderstood or failed to notice something, so if you CAN do any of
 this I'm listening.

1) Is it really true that there is no search function to locate a
   message by header or body text?

2) Why does kmail composer ignore the global key bindings for cut,
   copy and paste?  I have these set up to the usual buttons on my Sun
   type 5 keyboard for other apps but composer still insists on the
   microsofty Ctrl+X,V,C bindings, (despite the shortcuts not being
   advertised in the menu!).

3) Does the address book actually do anything at all?

4) Is there any way of instructing composer NOT to include and quote
   the original message on reply by default?

5) I have a *lot* of mail folders, stored in subdirectories of the
   main folder directory.  Kmail doesn't seem to be able to cope with
   this at all, and just ignores subdirectories.

6) You can't set up an account to read into a folder late in the
   alphabet as the setup menu goes off the bottom of the screen and
   there's no wrap.  The only way to get raound this seems to be to
   edit kmailrc with an editor.

7) Can you set kmail to read mail automatically when it is maximized
   or first started?

Oh well - back to Xemacs/VM for now, but I'll keep an eye on kmail for
future improvements.

Keith Refson

--
Dr Keith Refson,        "Paradigm is a word too often used by those who would
Dept of Earth Sciences      like to have a new idea but cannot think of one."