List:       kde-user
Subject:    Re: Makefile
From:       "David E. Fox" <dfox () belvdere ! vip ! best ! com>
Date:       1999-05-30 7:13:40

> I'm running redhat 5.2 with kde. I just downloaded koffice, unzipped untared
> it. I cd to the koffice directory, which has a configure.in file in it. I do
> autoconf in that directory, and it makes a configure file. However, when I

Since you are admittedly a newbie, I would hold off on compiling koffice
right now for a while until the rest of kde gets cleaner and
better. You see, koffice requires new libraries that are built on
a newer Qt (2.0) than the Qt used in kde-1.1, and there are
effectively two branches, the stable (kde-1.1) and development (kde-2.0)
more or less, and koffice is being developed under the new branch.

Right now, things are in a state of high flux as new things are done
to qt, which affects kdelibs/kdebase and then you have to update qt again,
reget newer versions of kdelibs/kdebase and sit while the thing takes
all night to compile :(. Consequently, it may not be that helpful for
you.

I'd start with smaller packages and see if you can compile them first.

> message. I put the koffice directories in /local on my system. I've had
> trouble compiling other kde apps as well. I'm a linux newbie, like three

Well, that is a problem. So you run ./configure in local/koffice (after
cd'ing there first) and then you see it generate a series of makefiles,
right? Or is it configure itself that is saying that it cannot locate
the source files?

> weeks now. So I don't have a clue as to what is going on. I like kde a lot,
> but I must say installing kde apps that didn't
> come with the original rpm package is an opaque procedure at best!

Not if someone provides rpm's for them. :) But in general, installing
kde apps isn't too difficult. One needs only to unpack, configure, make
and make install typically.

David E. Fox                 Tax              Thanks for letting me
dfox@belvdere.vip.best.com   the              change magnetic patterns
root@belvedere.sbay.org      churches         on your hard disk.