List:       kde-user
Subject:    Re: KDE screen lock - more
From:       "Andreas J. Guelzow" <aguelzow () math ! concordia ! ab ! ca>
Date:       1999-05-19 15:14:21

On Wed, 19 May 1999 04:47:25 +0000 greg.threlfall@dbce.csiro.au (Greg
Threlfall) wrote:

>Yup, after typing kcheckpass as you suggested and entering my login password
>it
>came back with the message;  "authentication failure for user greg [UID 500]"
>Does this mean kscreensaver is using a different password to the one I use to
>login with?

No, it just means that kcheckpass is unable to verify your password (assuming
you typed it correctly).

In /etc/passwd is there a line that starts with your loginname:
nobody:x:500:99:Nobody:/:
^^^^^^login name here?

If it is look at the second field:
nobody:x:500:99:Nobody:/:
       ^if there is an x you are using shadow passwords (and you should have a
file /etc/shadow.

If your login name doesn't appear in /etc/passwd you may be running NIS.
try
ypcat -k passwd
and look at the output. If you are running NIS it will consists of lines of
the form
nobody:x:500:99:Nobody:/:
 Does your login name appear in the first field for some line? Is the second
field an 'x' or some weird sequence of characters (your encrypted password)?

Let us know what you find and we may be of more assistance.

Andreas

---
Prof. Dr. Andreas J. Guelzow
Associate Professor & Coordinator of Mathematics
Concordia University College of Alberta
aguelzow@math.concordia.ab.ca
http://www.math.concordia.ab.ca/aguelzow