List:       kde-user
Subject:    Re: KDE screen lock - more
From:       Selva Nair <selva () sqdp ! trc-net ! co ! jp>
Date:       1999-05-19 5:46:52

On Wed, 19 May 1999, Greg Threlfall wrote:

>    Selva Nair wrote:
>    >
>    > Greg,
>    >
>    >   kscreensaver does teh authentification using kcheckpass. So
>    > check whether kcheckpass works okay. At the shell prompt,
>    > type kcheckpass. When it asks for your password, type it (yes, your
>    > login password) and enter. If kcheckpass fails you'll get an
>    > authentifcation failure message.
>
>    Yup, after typing kcheckpass as you suggested and entering my login password it
>    came back with the message;  "authentication failure for user greg [UID 500]"
>    Does this mean kscreensaver is using a different password to the one I use to
>    login with?  And if so, how do I change it/findout what it is it's expecting?

kcheckpass uses the user login data from the password data base --
/etc/passwd or /etc/shadow. As far as I can see (from the sources)
the failure mesage you get simply means that the password you typed does
not match the one in the  password file. In case of password file
access errors or things like that kcheckpass spits out some error
messages to that effect.

Does kcheckpass work for other users? What about root?

If all fails you may need to rebuild kcheckpass. Do you use a binary
distribution or roll your own executables?

Selva