List:       kde-user
Subject:    Re: HELP! KFM in super user mode
From:       Ivo Naninck <inaninck () solair1 ! inter ! nl ! net>
Date:       1998-06-27 23:02:55

Hi,

I suspect you didn't read my message very well.
The graphical KFM application does come up. The message appears when it tries
to do 'something', which I don't know. It just hangs with in the URL-field
'file:/root'.
I tried to change that to 'file:/tmp' which is world-readable, to no avail.

Besides that, the menu-selection runs '/usr/local/kde/bin/kfmsu', which then
runs '/usr/local/kde/bin/kfmsu2'.
The 'xhost' stuff is already done in 'kfmsu2'

In the mean time I have seen that in kfmsu2 the command 'export' is used.
This 'export' however, is not found on my system. So I suspect that the shell
which runs (or: is run by kfmsu2) kfmsu2 is not aware of the variable
DISPLAY.
'export DISPLAY=mybox:0.0' reports 'export: Command not found.'

I think that this is my problem. But I can not find the solution for that...

On 25-Jun-98 Bruce J. Carter wrote:
> Ivo Naninck wrote:
>>

> [copious deletions]
>

>> =====
>> Adding waiting: 135602672, 0
>> kioslave: cannot connect to X server
>> =====
>
> type the following before using kfm as root/super-user:
>
> xhost <your hostname>
> or
> xhost + <----- this is dangerous if you are on a network connected to
> the internet without a firewal, it allows all hosts to connecto your
> display, and can be very annoying...
>

>> The traffic-light on the KFM screen stays on and the wheel in the upper
>> right corner of the KFM screen keeps turning around. Only option is to
>> exit KFM.
>>
>> Someone with a medicine for this???
>>

> See above.
>
> Cheers,
>
> Bruce...

---
Could I have a drug overdose?

Best regards, and don't let the bits byte!
Ivo Naninck.
~
~
:wq!