List:       kde-user
Subject:    A few Newbie problems (please help)
From:       "Gareth J. Sargeant" <gareth () quebec ! net>
Date:       1998-06-27 22:48:02

I am new to Linux and to the KDE (total experience 2 weeks), I have a few
problems,

1) How do I set up KDM to control login, what runlevel, how do I do this. (I've
seen a webpage about this but now that I want to do it I can't find it - should
of bookmarked)

1A) I am worried that even when I setup KDM at the proper runlevel I will still
have problems because if I run KDM and select KDM or FVM I only get FVM. What's
up with that? :-)

2) When I connect to the Internet using PPP, as soon as I've connected I get the
error PPPD daemon died suddenly, except that ITS NOT DEAD... The phone is still
connected and all my Internet apps continue to work. Since KPPP doesn't think
I'm connected there is no easy way to hangup. Does anyone know why this is?

I'm sorry to bug you Unix gurus with trivial questions but KDE is for a gui for
ordinary desktop users and you don't get more ordinary that me (I'm an
accountant). If anyone has answers please respond. TIA - Gareth

P.S. To the KDE developers. You've done a great job. Keep up the good work.