List:       kde-user
Subject:    Re: HELP! KFM in super user mode
From:       "Bruce J. Carter" <bjcarter () gte ! net>
Date:       1998-06-28 2:34:39

Hi Ivo,

On 27-Jun-98 Ivo Naninck wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I suspect you didn't read my message very well.

I beleive you are correct! I am sorry for the confusion.

> The graphical KFM application does come up. The message appears when it
> tries
> to do 'something', which I don't know. It just hangs with in the
> URL-field
> 'file:/root'.
> I tried to change that to 'file:/tmp' which is world-readable, to no
> avail.
>
> Besides that, the menu-selection runs '/usr/local/kde/bin/kfmsu', which
> then
> runs '/usr/local/kde/bin/kfmsu2'.
> The 'xhost' stuff is already done in 'kfmsu2'
>
> In the mean time I have seen that in kfmsu2 the command 'export' is
> used.
> This 'export' however, is not found on my system. So I suspect that the
> shell
> which runs (or: is run by kfmsu2) kfmsu2 is not aware of the variable
> DISPLAY.
> 'export DISPLAY=mybox:0.0' reports 'export: Command not found.'

I think it might be the shell you are using for root, and or yourself. I
just tried it with csh, and got 'export: Command not found'

export is a sh/bash type builtin much the same as setenv for csh. kfmsu is
a shell script of a sort, but without the begining line of something along
the lines of #!/bin/sh at the beinging of the file. It tells the system to
use the bash or bourne shell. Try that it will probably fix your problem.
If not let me know and we will work through this thing.

> I think that this is my problem. But I can not find the solution for
> that...
>

> Could I have a drug overdose?
>
> Best regards, and don't let the bits byte!
> Ivo Naninck.
> ~
> ~
>:wq!

No durgs here, execpt ibuprofen for the headaches, and zantac for
the heartburn =)

Cheers,

Bruce...

E-Mail: Bruce J. Carter <bjcarter@gte.net>