List:       kde-usability
Subject:    Kicker report
From:       Kenn Brooks Hamm <khamm () andrew ! cmu ! edu>
Date:       2001-08-28 16:42:49

I have written a usability report on Kicker.  I'm not sure it quite fits
into what a usability report is expected to be; in particular, many of the
things I noted are targeted more towards intermediate / advanced users
rather than beginners, although I think even beginnners might run into
some of them.  (They're things that bother *me* in Kicker.)  You can get
it at:

http://www.andrew.cmu.edu/~khamm/kde/kicker.html

I also have some comments about the usability report process:

1) The HTML layout was very annoying to use.  I had to write a perl script
to make it usable at all.  I realize it is being (or has been, perhaps)
migrated to a web-based, database-backed system, and all I can say is that
it's a very good idea :-)

2) I introduced a "dummy" section of section 0 as an introduction.  I
think there needs to be some way to put in an introduction.

3) I was somewhat surprised that no one (of the reports I checked) had
used screenshots yet.  I used a couple screenshots, scaled down and marked
up in the Gimp with red text.  I wasn't sure whether to include them
inline or as references.  In the end I decided on the latter, since they
are relatively big and would load slowly on a modem.

4) I numbered my report as "2" because there is already a report #1 on
Kicker on the usability website.  If this was the wrong thing to do,
someone please let me know.

I would be very happy if the website accepted my report and posted it
there, although if you don't want to, please tell me what is wrong so I
can at least avoid it in future reports.  Also, would anyone who knows who
the primary *active* Kicker developer(s) is/are please contact me
privately by email?  I am a programmer and might be interested in
implementing some of the things I describe Kicker as lacking.

Kenn
--
val K="open String; print(\"val K=\\\"\"^concat(List.foldr op:: [\"\\\" \",K]

(* Note: Wrapped to reasonable line length.  Remove newlines to run. *)