List:       kde-usability
Subject:    user study
From:       mattc <matt () flowine ! com>
Date:       2001-08-17 16:28:39

Yes!  Definatly,
What kind of structure for the test are you tinking of?  Sounds like you are
thinking of a self-administered test, asking for user feedback.  There are
many channels to send such a test out on, and we will collect a substantial
ammount of data.

What I have in mind is a more formalized study where the subject is given a
list of simple tasks (login, open kword, type a letter, save the letter,
email a friend, etc...) and then their reactions are recorded, noting tasks
that are difficult to complete.

Let's do both, they are closely related.  A standard questionaire would be
much better for web distribution because more experenenced users would find
it there.  New users need more hand-holding and contribute a diferent kind of
data.

Here is a link to help us get started
http://www.linux.org.uk/~telsa/Trips/Talks/guadecii-user-testing.html

The study is out there somewhere, but I couldn't find it when I went looking
for it.

the DB sounds like a good idea.  Should work well with a formalized test.
How is information going to be inputed?  extracted?

Take care,
Matt