List:       kde-usability
Subject:    Re: My opinions about KDE-menu usability
From:       Greg Turpin <gregturp () home ! com>
Date:       2001-08-04 17:22:52

On Saturday 04 August 2001  7:38 am, Jim Conner wrote:
> I was told by the creator/maintainer of Redmond Linux that they were going
> to do just that in a future build/version of Redmond Linux.  I don't know
> if this is a choice on install, or an on-the-fly type of choice.  He didn't
> elaborate.  I think it would be a nice on-the-fly type of change.  A user
> could try each or 'graduate' from task-related to standard as time goes on.
> I think the target of Redmond Linux is more towards the nontechnical user.
> IMHO, since different distros target different users, I'd allow the distros
> to package kde to default to one or the other when adding in a new user.
> I'm sure that if necessary, we could communicate with the maintainer of
> Redmond Linux about this so we don't re-invent the wheel.
>
> Jim
>
> On Saturday August 04, 2001  6:02 am, Claes Andersson wrote:
> > Redmond Linux KMenu was interesting to see. I am quite sure a menu like
> > that is easier for new Linux/KDE users. The question is of course who is
> > the target audience for usability - nontechnical or technical users?
> > Perhaps it would be a good idea to be able to switch between a simple
> > menu and a complete one. ICQ has something similar for example, even if
> > it in my opinion is much to cluttered in its advanced mode.
> >
> > Claes

I think this is a mistake.  If a user starts in one mode - they will never
graduate to the next.  That's just usability common sense.

We (as KDE developers) will always be using the advanced mode.  Our
users will be using a different mode (and hence, a different layout).
Now - imagine trying to help a newbie out with a certain task in the
KMenu.  There are two ways to get to the program.  Which one do you
tell them?  Telling them both will get very annoying very quickly.

This is just BAD usability.  All of the books I've read on the subject say
that dual-mode interfaces should be avoided at all cost.

The Redmond Linux menu setup is not very usable.  In a menu, you have
items, not sentences.  I don't want to read a book.  I just want to
launch a web-browser.  What's so complicated with going to "Internet"
and then "Konqueror Web Browser".

Once the users cross the bridge that allows them to understand the layout
of the menu - we've won.

Greg