List:       kde-usability
Subject:    Re: My opinions about KDE-menu usability
From:       Jono Bacon <f9808590 () wlv ! ac ! uk>
Date:       2001-08-04 17:06:29

These are some really great ideas. We just need to formulate them into a report.
Would one of you guys like to be the Kicker report maintainer?

As soon as we have a report ready we can get it sent to the developers who can
look at what elements they wish to code.

Cheers,

        Jono

Quoting Jim Conner <jconner83@yahoo.com>:

> I was told by the creator/maintainer of Redmond Linux that they were
> going to
> do just that in a future build/version of Redmond Linux.  I don't know
> if
> this is a choice on install, or an on-the-fly type of choice.  He didn't
>
> elaborate.  I think it would be a nice on-the-fly type of change.  A
> user
> could try each or 'graduate' from task-related to standard as time goes
> on.
> I think the target of Redmond Linux is more towards the nontechnical
> user.
> IMHO, since different distros target different users, I'd allow the
> distros
> to package kde to default to one or the other when adding in a new user.
>  I'm
> sure that if necessary, we could communicate with the maintainer of
> Redmond
> Linux about this so we don't re-invent the wheel.
>
> Jim
>
> On Saturday August 04, 2001  6:02 am, Claes Andersson wrote:
> > Redmond Linux KMenu was interesting to see. I am quite sure a menu
> like
> > that is easier for new Linux/KDE users. The question is of course who
> is
> > the target audience for usability - nontechnical or technical users?
> > Perhaps it would be a good idea to be able to switch between a simple
> menu
> > and a complete one. ICQ has something similar for example, even if it
> in my
> > opinion is much to cluttered in its advanced mode.
> >
> > Claes
> >

> --
>
>   7:42am  up 11 days,  8:16,  3 users,  load average: 0.00, 0.00, 0.00

Jono Bacon - [vmlinuz] -- jono@kde.org
Qt/KDE Developer