List:       kde-usability
Subject:    Re: Usability tests should not focus on icons
From:       Steve Hunt <theshunt () crosswinds ! net>
Date:       2001-07-26 14:07:34

The icons can't be perfect, there are many cultures which these icons
don't fit.  However, for most of the users in America and Canada, these
icons fit well.  Some people were complaining about the shell icon.
 While it makes sense for me, it may not for some others.

BUT...

That's why there are tooltips.  I actually like the shell icon pun.
 Some people may not understand it off the bat, but if they talk to any
American KDE user, they would probably figure it out.  Take Noatun for
example.  Does anybody know what the word Noatun means?  You would if
you were into the Asatru religion.  Noatun was the shipyard of Njord.  I
spent hours finding that.  Does that mean that there is anything wrong
with calling it a name that everybody can't understand?  Not in my mind.

However, I completely agree that the K button needs a facelift.  It
looks good (better than a foot ;-)) but it isn't very intuitive for
anybody who hasn't used KDE or GNOME.  I would recommend making it
wider, if that is possible. This would show the user that it isn't just
any other button on the panel.  Also, as somebody else pointed out, I
like the idea of the Rocketship icon.  This might hint that it is the
Application Launcher button.

-Steve