List:       kde-usability
Subject:    Usability tests should not focus on icons
From:       Charles de Miramon <charles.de.miramon () libertysurf ! fr>
Date:       2001-07-26 11:52:15

Hi,
I don't think we should worry to much about changing the icons in KDE. Icons
are very dependant of the cultural context and the feed-back of users of one
country is going to be very specific to this country.
I'll give an example. The (pretty) icon for the Gnome Control Center is a
toolbox (http://www.cs.hmc.edu/~ben/icons/control-center_big.png). It looks
like a typical toolbox you can buy in the US but in France toolboxes have
rectangular shapes. So for an US user it is intuitive but not for a French
one.
We should accept that icons are conventions... The newbie user will have to
learn these conventions (like he learned the Windows conventions) but we
should help him with good info-tips and info-bubbles.

Cheers,
Charles