List:       kde-usability
Subject:    Re: feedback from the gnome usability study.
From:       Sheldon Lee Wen <tormak () home ! com>
Date:       2001-07-26 12:36:15

> It seems to me that a Unix /home directory is conceptually closer to a "My
> Documents"-type directory --again, thinking in Windows terms. It is _your_
> share of the filesystem. Maybe we should be thinking along those line and
> "translate" the concept of "home" into something which expresses perhaps
> more clearly the notion of personal ownership associated with /home while
> playing down the underlying notion of filesystem and file hierarchy.
> Something maybe like "My files". Now I'm not saying that this is the
> wording to go with and I know that _I_ would hate it but to an
> inexperienced user it just might make more sense that way.

Hmm. This makes sense. I suggested a hard-drive type icon just because
that's what the gnome report said that people associated it with that.
Windows, will catch on to the My Files type idea, but what about mac users?
os/2 users? Anyone know? This should be something that we try or look for
when we do a test. Maybe put both icons on the desktop and see where they go
first. I think it's important though to choose people who know almost nothing
about unix/linux/kde/gnome/whatever, when someone does a test.

Is there any possibility that we can get corporate sponsorship for a test if
we put a script together? (Maybe the Kompany? or Mandrake? could run or
sponsor the test).

Cheers,
Sheldon.

"... all thoughts of selfish desire, ill-will, hatred and
 violence are the result of a lack of wisdom ... "
 - Buddha

For an awsome fantasy role playing game checkout:
http://lycadican.sourceforge.net